1. Acquire a sense of humour. If you don’t own one, borrow with interest, you’ll only need it for an hour at a time.
2. Find 800 bob, plus transport. Skates are provided at the rink in all sizes. And you’ll need a sweater, it’s ccccccold in there!
3. Get a watch or clock … or phone. The rink opens at 11 and closes every other hour for cleaning, so you have to be there at the right hour. 7 to 8 is most fun for beginners 😉
4. Confiscate all camera phones.
5. Find the walking stick. It’s a metal slidy thing that helps you balance. There’s a smaller one for kids, and some pingu-type skated statues for little people. Move anticlockwise to avoid collision. And concentrate. It is immensely difficult to skate and talk at the same time. Or maybe that’s just me…
6. Do not look at other skaters. Especially avoid looking at toddlers. When a five-inch person is in the rink, they are there for a reason, and you will feel stupid if you watch. Also, in my case, refer to point 5 and replace ‘talk’ with ‘think/smile/look-at-anything-except-the-ground’ as appropriate.
7. Learn to fall. Because you will. Many times. So learn not to hurt yourself. A good strategy is to always fall on your … er … rear padding. Unless of course you don’t have any.
8. Learn to laugh when you fall. Especially if you plan to fall, classically, several times in succession, before you ever get your skate on.
9. Keep your skates straight and your feet in a v-shape formation. Walk before you start to glide, and stop a slide by lifting your foot. Try to keep your feet behind your body – if they get ahead of you, you will fall.
10. Do not look at people doing super tricks on ice. You will fall.
11. Do not look at the determined little girl with drive painted on her face who learned to stop falling in 6 seconds or less. You will fall.
12. Do not look at the instructor who makes it look so easy. You will fall.
13. Do not let go of the geriatric walking stick, even if you are the only person in the rink using one, and you look like a lost dreadlocked person in an icicle-filled retirement home. You will fall.
14. Find it funny when you fall, again, and two six year old girls in frilly dresses [and without walking sticks] help you back onto your feet.
15. When – fifteen minutes after leaving the rink – your feet are still gliding in vee shapes and feel all wobbly like jelly strings speeding ahead of you, smile, you’re almost normal **grin**
21 thoughts on “How to skate in 15 not-so-easy steps”
you are going to fall till your buttocks turn to flat-tocks!
Just reading this makes my feet wobbly…thanks for the experience.
Always wanted to skate, darnit! Someone should start dust skating.
Its always fun at the rink. But that clock thingy is right. If you get there at half past the ‘odd’ hour, you still pay the full amount!
LOL @ Spartakuss (and your response to him)
Me, I tried skating ONCE back in college. I skated on my gluteus longer than I did on the actual skates. Fun. Painful a few days later.
Can I simply just say what a comfort to uncover someone
that actually knows what they are discussing online. You certainly know how
to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people must look at this and understand this side of your story.
I was surprised you are not more popular given that you certainly possess the gift.
I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case
you shield this increase.
Hi I am so thrilled I found your site, I really found you by mistake,
while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now
and would just like to say thanks for a fantastic post and a
all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I
don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds,
so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do
keep up the excellent work.
Hurrah, that’s what I was looking for, what a material! existing here at this webpage, thanks admin of this website.
Hey there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of
the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.
I think the admin of this site is actually working hard for his website, since here every material is quality
I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting
my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup?
I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% certain.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I simply could not leave your site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the usual information a person provide on your guests?
Is going to be again ceaselessly to check out new posts
Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thank you so much, However I am having problems with your RSS.
I don’t know why I am unable to join it. Is there anybody having the
same RSS issues? Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond?
This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am really
pleassant to read everthing at alone place.
I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your website.
It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
Great post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
Extremely useful information particularly the last phase 🙂 I care for such information a
lot. I used to be seeking this certain information for a very long time.
Thank you and good luck.
Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a entirely different
subject but it has pretty much the same layout
and design. Wonderful choice of colors!
Terrific article! That is the type of information that are supposed to be shared across the internet.
Shame on Google for not positioning this post upper!
Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)
It’s not my first time to visit this website, i am visiting this web site dailly
and get pleasant information from here all the time.